History of Batterham Reserve
Batterham Reserve is situated on Miller Road and is named in memory of Rowley Batterham who originally owned the land the reserve is located on.
At the turn of the 20th century the land now occupied by Batterham Reserve was owned by J.J. Miller.
The area which was fairly swampy was covered with Swamp Gum, Appletree Box and a variety of shrubs, indigenous ferns and ti-tree. J.J. Miller had the area cleared and drained and used it to train trotting horses for many years
Some time around 1912 John Maguire bought fifty acres of land once owned by J. J. Miller which included what is now Batterham Park. In 1947, Rowley decided to subdivide his property and Don Maguire was instrumental in having the Shire of Ferntree Gully purchase a 12 ½ acre area, which is now Batterham Reserve, to be used as a sporting development site.
Fergus Chandler was approached by the Committee of Management to submit a landscapedesign for the entire area. Fergus did this free of charge, complete with a tree planting program. His design formed the basis for the layout of the Reserve which we see today.
The Basin Football Club began using the Reserve in 1948 after the proposed site of Wicks Reserve proved unsuitable. South West of the lower oval (beside the dam from which the football was frequently retrieved) was a bark and paling hut built by a working bee. This was used for the first two or three seasons and was supplemented by a tent supplied by Arthur Cooper.
Later on, the Reserve had a need for club rooms for the sporting bodies which used the facility and so Jack Wallace organised plans and a pavilion was built on the southern side of the reserve midway between the two ovals.
This “tin shed” served for many years until a new brick pavilion was opened in 1979. The new pavilion was opened by the Mayor of Knox Cr. Marie Wallace and Mrs Batterham, widow of Rowley. Three of her daughters were also present.
The building was named The D P Maguire Pavilion in recognition of Don Maguire’s contribution as a member of the reserve committee for more than 33 years. In 1990 a new brick storeroom and scoreboard were opened and named in honour of Arthur Cooper who had served the reserve committee for more than forty years.
Over the years and countless hours of hard work from club members Batterham reserve has two ovals offering good facilities, a grand stand, lights on both grounds and a newly remodelled club house and toilets, Batterham Reserve has come a long way from the days when Don Maguire would use his draught horses to mow the lower oval before matches. The decision by the old Ferntree Gully Council to purchase the land for future development of sporting facilities has certainly been vindicated. Story from http://www.coxhill.com/basinhistory.